A RIHS Library Resource Sheet
· Arnold’s Vital Records, 1636-1850. Printed index to marriage, birth and death records arranged by town and county. F78. A753 (green binding), F78 .A75 (red binding). There are also church records and obituaries from 1636-1850 as a part of this collection. F78 .A75 (red binding)
records are available on microfilm for some
· RI State Vital Records, 1853-1900. Printed index to death and marriage records. F78 .A81 (yellow binding). Microfilmed index: Mfilm F78 .A71 births (1853-1899), Mfilm F78 .A824 deaths (1901-1920). For full records: Mfilm F78 .A7 - F78 .A82
The RIHS Census Holdings Guide on top of the microfilm cabinet lists the state and federal census holdings of the library. There is also a more detailed finding aid with descriptions of state and federal census records located in the Printed Collection Finding Aids .
1900, 1920 and 1930 Federal Census use Ancestry.com on the computer. The 1890
Federal Census was destroyed by fire in
The Library has a subscription to the Ancestry.com database. Available on the database are United States Census Records from 1860-1930, passenger lists, social security death index, military records and various state records. There is a computer for patron use.
Main Card Catalog:
· Specific family names (surnames) - i.e. Allen Family, Martin Family
· Name of city/town - The section for each city/town often contains additional references such as genealogy, cemeteries, history, probate records, land records, tax lists, etc.
· Specific ethnic groups - i.e. Native American, Swedish
cemetery names - i.e.
churches - i.e.
· Specific institutions – i.e. schools, businesses
A nearly complete run of city directories from across Rhode Island and neighboring cities of Fall River and Attleboro, Massachusetts. Providence House Directories, arranged by street address, are also part of the collection.
A database containing over 410,000 gravestone inscriptions for hundreds
This quarterly publication of the Rhode Island Genealogical Society includes articles on Rhode Island families and genealogy resources and is available in the Reading Room (CS 42 .R5) and is indexed on CD-ROM (also in the Reading Room).
Passenger lists are available from 1798-1943 for the
Index of Wills 1636-1850:
This is an index as published in the
Family Bible Collection:
A Finding Aid for RIHS Bible Collections is located on top of the card catalog. Transcriptions or photocopies of genealogical materials from the bibles are in the Vertical File Biography section. CS65 .B6
the Records of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in
The Library is the official site for the New England Yearly Meeting Archives. The Archives include books, pamphlets, personal papers, audiotapes, periodicals, photographs and microfilm. The guide to the papers is located on top of the microfilm cabinet. F184 .F89 G8 1997
American Genealogical Biographical Index:
This multi-volume index is national in scope. The entry for each name lists state or country of birth and approximate date of birth. The reference after the date and place are short citations for the publications where the information was found. The citations are fully listed at the beginnings of volumes 10, 34 and 54. Z5313 .U5 A55
John Osborne. Genealogical Dictionary of
Austin, John Osborne. One Hundred and Sixty Allied Families.
Bartlett, John Russell (ed.). Records of the Colony of
Additional Genealogy Resources
The library is the repository for the
federally funded Rhode Island Newspaper Project. The library has a microfilm
collection of almost every
The almanacs cover the years 1887-1998 and give a synopsis of the previous year. There is also a necrology, which provides an index of the previous year’s obituaries. AY67 .P7 J67.
The manuscript collection may provide additional information once other sources have been exhausted. The following may be useful in genealogy research:
· Papers or diaries of family members (manuscript collection)
· Tax lists (manuscript collection)
· Old Stone Bank Depositor Records 1844-1897 (manuscript collection, not indexed)
· Revolutionary War Records (manuscript collection – card catalog index available)
· Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (graphics collection)
· Institutional Records (manuscript collection – businesses, organizations, asylums, schools)
401-273-8107 ext. 10