● Ability to work effectively with staff and colleagues;
● Facility to write successful grants and develop sound budgets;
● Capacity to not only manage, but lead staff and volunteers;
● Desire and adeptness to collaborate with other organizations and groups;
● Imagination and enthusiasm to develop new and innovate, history-related programs and
● At least five years working in the public history/museum field; and
● Advanced degree in a related field preferred (e.g. American History, American Studies,
History Education, American Literature), though related work experience can replace.
This is a senior level position and as such qualifies for all regular RIHS benefits. This is a full-
time, 37.5 hour a week position, salaried and exempt. Evenings and weekends are sometimes
Commensurate with experience, salary for this position can range from $60,000-$65,000.
Health care insurance, single plan starting the first of the month following date of hire.
TIAA/CREF retirement plan after completing twenty four (24) months of employment. Life and
Disability Insurance. Sick time, paid holidays, and vacation time.
To Apply please submit a current CV, the names and contact information for three references
(at least one of which must be a recent employer), and a cover letter to email@example.com, with the
subject line RIHS Director of Education.
In the cover letter, in addition to explaining your interest and fit for this position, please also
address the following questions:
● How do you approach balancing collaboration and leadership? and
● The position description noted several dynamic new developments in Rhode
Island’s history education landscape, as well as at the RIHS specifically. Which
of these ignites your excitement the most and why?
All inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line RIHS Director of
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and this position will be open until filled.
The Rhode Island Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity
and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.