Skip to content
Reporting to the Facilities Manager, the Facilities Assistant is responsible for the day-to-day upkeep of the RIHS’s Providence buildings and grounds (the Aldrich House, the John Brown
House Museum, and the Robinson Research Center). The Facilities Assistant is very hands-on and continuously works to ensure that facilities are in proper working condition and operational
needs are met.
Essential Tasks and Functions:
● Collects and disposes of trash and debris inside the facilities and on the grounds;
● Cleans/vacuums the floors, stairs and other surfaces inside the facilities that are NOT cared for by Collections staff (exhibits or historic materials requiring special preservation);
● Ensures that all entrances are clean and maintained appropriately for the public (especially snow removal);
● Performs outside routine custodial, light maintenance, and landscape/lawn care duties as required;
● Service, clean, and supply restrooms and break rooms on a regular daily basis;
● Follow procedures and direction for use of chemical cleaners and power equipment in a safe manner, in order to prevent damage to one’s self, others and materials;
● Inventory of supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties;
● Set up, arrangement, and removal of tables, chairs, etc. – for events such as banquets and meetings;
● Perform other duties as required;
● Hours may flex for things like snow removal and event management support.
A high school diploma or GED is the minimum educational requirement for the facilities assistant
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions;
Ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work;
Some ability in simple record keeping;
Some work experience as a handyperson or in a skilled trade, such as painting, landscaping or plumbing is highly desired;
The physical strength and stamina to perform the above duties and to lift 50 pounds
The RIHS has three Providence locations, so reliable transportation is required. A background check is required for all employees of the RIHS.A background check is required for all
employees of the RIHS.
Salary and Benefits: $18/hour, 37.5 hours per week; Health care insurance starting the 1st of the month following date of hire. TIAA/CREF retirement plan after completing twenty four (24)
months of employment. Life and Disability Insurance. Sick time, 14 paid holidays and vacation time.
Please email a resume and contact information for two references to email@example.com with “Facilities Assistant” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and will
continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. The Rhode Island Historical Society is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an
inclusive environment for all employees.
|To Apply||Send your resume and cover letter to Hiring Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rhode Island Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Rhode Island Historical Society’s Commitment to Our Donors
We will not sell, share, or trade our donors’ names or personal information with any other entity. We will not send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations.
This policy applies to all information received by RIHS on any platform by any means, both online and offline, as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications.
To the extent any donations may be processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation.
Website and digital strategy by nabec partners