Project Coordinator for
Latinx/Spanish-Language Outreach & Promotion, RICovidArchive.org
Temporary Contract Assignment
Providence Public Library in partnership with the Rhode Island Historical Society has created the RI COVID-19 Archive. The Rhode Island COVID-19 Archive (RICA) is a rapid response collecting project to document the experiences of Rhode Islanders during the COVID-19 pandemic. Acknowledging that Latinx communities have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 and are currently underrepresented within RICA, the project seeks to hire an outreach coordinator to create Spanish-language messaging and build upon relationships within Latinx communities to encourage contributions from Latinx residents of RI to the archive.
The Project Coordinator for Latinx & Spanish-Language Outreach and Promotion will work to forge new and build upon existing PPL/RIHS relationships with community organizations that serve the Latinx population of Rhode Island; and to increase public understanding across Rhode Island of the lived experiences of Latinx residents during the COVID-19 crisis through submissions to RI COVID-19 Archive.
Successful performance requires fluency in Spanish and English, well developed interpersonal skills, ability to work remotely, experience with various social media platforms and other outreach formats, and most importantly – an existing understanding of, and relationships within, RI’s Hispanic and Latinx communities.
This position is a temporary contract position and is expected to last until December 31, 2020. This position reports to the Curator of Rhode Island Collections and will work as a core member of the RICA Project Team.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Create a contact list of organizations and individuals for targeted outreach and potential partnerships.
- Create outreach materials (social media posts, mailers, etc) in Spanish & English that promote contributions to the RI COVID-19 Archive.
- Contact community organizations and key individuals to create community partnerships.
- Solicit contributions to RICA from individuals or organizations that document the experience of Latinx communities in RI during the time of COVID.
- Contribute as a RICA Project Team member especially regarding what long-term and sustained engagement with Hispanic and Latinx communities will look like for this project beyond the focus of this funded position.
- Fluency in Spanish and English.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to follow project workflows and identify problems and possible solutions.
- Ability to work remotely. This includes both having the existing technology to support working virtually, but also the ability to successfully work independently.
- Comfort level with Zoom and Google Drive work platforms, particularly Google Sheets.
- Existing understanding of, and relationships within, RI’s Hispanic and Latinx communities.
Compensation: This is a part-time, non-union, temporary contractor, grant-funded position. The position provides for $30 / hour for a total of 66 hours or a total of $2000 for the project.
Scheduling: This outreach project will be carried out from mid-October thru December 31, 2020. The estimated weekly time commitment is approximately 8 hours for the duration of the project. The project coordinator will be required to attend a virtual RICA team meeting every other week, but will otherwise be expected to work independently with regular check-ins with their supervisor.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by October 15, 2020.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to:
The Providence Public Library
Attn: Kate Wells
150 Empire Street
Providence, RI 02903
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at the Providence Public Library are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. PPL is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and above), disability, veteran status, military service, application for military service, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. PPL will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.