The Rights & Reproductions Division provides services for all the Rhode Island Historical Society collections: Graphic, Printed, Manuscript and Museum.
Reproductions of the collections can only be obtained through the Rights & Reproductions Division. The Rhode Island Historical Society reserves the right to refuse to reproduce any materials that may be damaged by the reproduction process or that are restricted by copyright laws.
Service fees apply for the use of images from the collections of the Rhode Island Historical Society. The Rights & Reproductions Division does not generate a profit from its fees. Fees allow the Rhode Island Historical Society to provide the service and to care for its collections.
Please fill out the Rights & Reproductions Application Form (pdf) completely and submit it by mail or email. Rights & Reproductions staff cannot provide photographic research or select material from the collections. If you are unable to download the PDF version of the application form, please contact Rights & Reproductions at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy be mailed to you.
- Please do not send payment with the Rights & Reproductions Application Form.
- All fees must be paid before a License Agreement is issued and images are released.
- A photocopy of each of the images requested should accompany the application form if possible.
- You will receive a quote within 7 business days.
- Publication rights may be obtained separately from image reproductions.
- Order can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to complete after receipt of payment.
- Rush service is not available at this time.
- All fees paid are non-refundable.
Permission to Reproduce Images
All researchers must request permission to publish or use images from the collections of the Rhode Island Historical Society. The Rhode Island Historical Society offers a one-time non-exclusive License Agreement for use of its collections’ images for each format type (book, periodical, etc.); subsequent formats and editions are subject to additional agreements.
Rights & Reproductions Fee Schedule (pdf)
Forms of Payment Accepted
All requests for image reproductions and permission to reproduce images must be paid in full before processing. Payments may be made by:
- American Express
Rights & Reproductions Division
Rhode Island Historical Society
121 Hope Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02906
PHONE: (401) 273-8107 x421