The life and work of Providence’s best-known fantasy and horror author, Howard Phillips Lovecraft, provide the backdrop for this walking tour. Acknowledged genius of occult and horror fiction, Lovecraft’s “Providence stories” (written between 1924 and 1935) provide the basis for this walk. Lovecraft wrote eloquently, and in great detail, about such landmarks as Prospect Terrace, the First Baptist Church, and Benefit Street houses. See the site of his former home, as well as the sights mentioned in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Haunter of the Dark, The Shunned House, and The Call of Cthulhu. Lovecraft’s own words offer a most amazing literary, historical, and architectural walking tour.
The tour lasts 90 minutes.
Cost: Tickets are $22 per person, and includes a ticket to a special curated virtual screening of films inspired by Lovecraft. Tickets must be purchased in advance through the Vortex Film Festival.
Tour Dates: October 16, 17, 23, and 24 at noon
Guests are encouraged to book tickets with those whom they have been in close contact during COVID-19 isolation (including immediate housemates and adjacent friends and families). Tours will be treated as primarily private bookings with a maximum of 10 attendees total, to adhere to state stipulations. Attendees are expected to maintain social distancing from their guide while on tour, as well as wear masks while on the street and in public.
Film Screenings: Participants will receive a special password to special film screenings that have been inspired by Lovecraft’s writings.
**What to Bring**
• Wear an appropriate face mask that covers both your nose and mouth.
• Dress according to the weather and wearing comfortable shoes as you will be outside for the entire tour, which lasts approximately 90 minutes.
• Bring a beverage with you in case you need to step aside to take a sip.
**Check in information**
• Due to COVID-19, guests will be asked to attest to their health before the tour begins. To preview the questions that you will be asked, visit https://bit.ly/3iGJouz.
**What to Expect**
• Attendees are expected to maintain social distancing from their guide while on tour, as well as wear masks while on the street and in public.
|Tour Type||Special Event|
|Time||From 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.|
|Location / Meeting Point||The John Brown House Museum|