The John Brown House was built in 1788 by merchant, patriot, politician, and slave trader John Brown, an instigator and participant in the Gaspee Affair. He and his family were some of the wealthiest and most influential people in the colonies and, then, the United States. The Browns are the namesake of Brown University.
Come walk through John Brown’s mansion (in the footsteps of George Washington, Abigail Adams, and other historical figures who once visited) and experience for yourself what it was like to live in the brand new United States at the end of the 18th century. The tour will discuss some of the most pressing issues of the day: slavery, the American Revolution, the China trade, and the major role Rhode Island played in the history of our nation.
Guests will choose to take a docent-led guided tour or a self-guided audio tour. Both the guided tour and the audio tour last approximately 60 minutes.
April 1 – November 30
***New for 2017: Netop Nights, featuring evening hours and free admission every first Thursday, 5-8pm.***
Tuesday through Friday: Open 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Guided Tours at 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Audio Tours from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Saturdays: Open 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Guided Tours at 10:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Audio Tours from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Closed in observance of the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day , Victory Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve.
- Adults: $10
- Seniors & Students: $8
- Children 7-17: $6
- RIHS Members: FREE
Address & Parking Info
Free Museum parking is available in a lot off of Charlesfield Street, which runs parallel to Power Street on the other side of the property. The entrance to the lot is not far from the corner of Charlesfield and Benefit Streets.
Walking tours depart from the John Brown House Museum at 10am on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Click here for more information.
Group and School Tours
Interested in bringing your group or classroom to the John Brown House? For School Group Tours, please find more information Here. Schedule a tour by contacting our Tour Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org; 401.331.8575 x362).
Programs and Events at the John Brown House Museum
There are several new and exciting events happening at the John Brown House Museum this year! Take a look below for more information.
- Join us on the first Thursday of every month for Netop Nights! This is a chance to visit the John Brown House free of charge after regular museum hours. This open house style program runs from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm, and allows visitors to enjoy the museum at their own pace.
Mornings at the Museum
- On the second Saturday of every month, the John Brown House Museum will host a Family Fun Morning with FREE interactive, family-friendly activities. We’ll start a garden, play historic games, cook old-fashioned desserts, and more! Click HERE for more information or to register.