The John Brown House was built in 1788 by merchant, patriot, politician, and slave trader John Brown. He and his family were some of the wealthiest and most influential people in the state, and also the namesake family of Brown University.
Come walk through John Brown’s house (in the steps of George Washington and Abigail Adams) and experience for yourself what it was like to live in the brand new United States at the end of the 18th century. The tour will discuss some of the most pressing issues of the day: slavery, the American Revolution, the China trade, and the major role Rhode Island played in the history of our nation.
Guests will choose to take a docent led guided tour or a self-guided audio tour to view the house museum. Both the guided tour and the audio tour last approximately 60 minutes.
Please Note: The museum will be closing early on Saturday, April 29. The last admission will be at 1 pm. There will not be a 1:30 or 3pm tour.
April 1 – November 30
***New for 2017: Netop Nights, featuring evening hours and free admission every first Thursday, 5-8pm.***
Tuesday through Friday: Open 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Guided Tours at 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Audio Tours from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Saturdays: Open 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Guided Tours at 10:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Audio Tours from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Closed in observance of the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day , Victory Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve.
- Adults: $10
- Seniors & Students: $8
- Children 7-17: $6
- RIHS Members: FREE
Address & Parking Info
Free Museum parking is available in a lot off of Charlesfield Street, which runs parallel to Power Street on the other side of the property. The entrance to the lot is not far from the corner of Charlesfield and Benefit Streets.
Walking tours depart from the John Brown House Museum at 10am on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Click here for more information.
Interested in bringing your group or classroom to the John Brown House? For School Group Tours, please find more information Here. Schedule a tour with Jennifer Davis, Visitor Experience and Logistics Manager (email@example.com; 401.331.8575 x362).
Programs and Events at the John Brown House Museum
There are several new and exciting events happening at the John Brown House Museum this year! Take a look below for more information.
- Join us on the first Thursday of every month for Netop Nights! This is a chance to visit the John Brown House free of charge after regular museum hours. This open house style program runs from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm, and allows visitors to enjoy the museum at their own pace.
Mornings at the Museum
- On the second Saturday of every month, the John Brown House Museum will host a Family Fun Morning with FREE interactive, family-friendly activities. We’ll start a garden, play historic games, cook old-fashioned desserts, and more! Click HERE for more information or to register.